Q: want change out of 3rd gear want go in reverse service light on.

My 2006 Hyundia Sonata transmission gets suck and won't change out of 3rd gear I have to pull over turn the car off and then start it back up and I will run ok for awhile. It also won't reverse and the service light on. Now when I drive it's just shifting down to third gear hard and stays there. Do I need a new transmission or can it be fix simply.

Hello. I will be glad to help you with this. Shifting in an automatic transmission is controlled both electronically, via solenoid actuated valves for instance, and also by using hydraulic pressure to activate various pistons and clutches in the transmission. The fact that the Check Engine Light has set is potentially very helpful because that means the mechanic can download whatever diagnostic trouble codes have been set which may refer to transmission faults in your case.

These will give the mechanic an initial idea if it might be a simple fix or a more complex problem. Although it is possible your issue could be due to something as simple as a malfunctioning solenoid (although even that gets a little involved as you have to get to the valve body in the transmission), it could be more serious such as a faulty piston, clutch, valve body, and so forth. All of those latter parts are internal to the transmission and usually require the transmission to be removed. Your best course is to have YourMechanic first evaluate the codes that have been set, (and that activated your Check Engine Light) and complete a diagnosis from which you can get an idea of the repair cost.

Transmissions can be rebuilt. You don’t necessarily have to buy a rebuilt unit but the labor cost of rebuilding can sometimes bring the cost of in shop rebuilding close to that of an off-the-shelf rebuilt unit. These are details that the mechanic would have data on and thus could help you select the most economical repair option. In any event, don’t worry, everything on a car is fixable - even when it looks dreadful like a transmission problem. If you would like to have this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can inspect your shifting problem in person and advise you on the correct repairs.

3. want change out of 3rd gear want go in reverse service light on.