Q: Vibration when driving

I was driving home today when my car stated to vibrate violently and smoking a little bit from the right side. Got home and smelled like burning rubber,put it on ramps and checked it out the serpentine belt looks good and couldn't see a problem anywhere else.Belt is two years old,about 30000 on it.What could it be?

Smoking usually occurs when one of the pulleys seizes and the belt continues to slide across it, to the point of heating up and burning. If one of the various engine pulleys, such as the [water pump])https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/water-pump-replacement), the alternator, or the the tensioner pulleys seize, even for a moment they may cause the symptoms you experienced. If the belt does not show any signs of wear or heat damage on the pulley side, it may be possible that the issue is not related to the belt or pulleys. I would recommend checking the pulleys to make sure that they all spin freely, and doing a thorough under hood investigation to see if you can determine what the source of the vibration or smell was. If you find you are needing help with diagnosing the severe vibration issue, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office.