Q: Very flimsy interior, breaking apart when I use it

I am disappointed in how cheap the interior feels in my 2007 Kia Sorento. The door handle inside the passenger door broke off the other day and the handle just flops around now. How does that happen on a car with 80,000 miles on it? Is the whole thing going to fall apart? Is this normal? I may want to repair it and just sell it if that's the case!

Hello, thank you for writing about your problem.

The handle failure may be due to abuse from people pulling on the handle a little too hard causing something to break. Another factor to consider is temperature; excessive heat and cold can lead to early failure due to plastic becoming more brittle over time.

Unfortunately, the only way to fix this is to replace what has broken. There are 3 main parts of a door handle: the handle itself, the cable, and the door latch. To find the problem, the door panel must be removed for inspection. Being that the handle, handle holder, and portion of the door latch are made of plastic there are many possible points for failure.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can inspect and replace your interior door handle to ensure a properly working car door.

3. Very flimsy interior, breaking apart when I use it