Q: Gasoline smell from engine oil

There is a gasoline smell in my engine oil that I noticed through the dipstick. No warning lights have appeared, no fuel mileage loss, no hesitation, no exhaust. What could be causing this?

A: Hello. The most common cause of the problem...

Hello. The most common cause of the problem you are having is when engine oil blows up in one of the engine cylinders. What may be happening is that the engine cylinder pistons aren’t sealing properly due to wear and tear. When the engine cylinder pistons don’t seal properly, some of the gas that’s involved in the combustion process in your engine is able to leak past the pistons and get into the oil. This tends to worsen over time so eventually, you may have to rebuild or replace the engine. I suggest having a professional mechanic inspect your engine as soon as possible. A certified mobile mechanic from YourMechanic can provide this inspection at your home or office.