Q: USB adapter caused shock & gas smell in back seat

I was listening to music in my parked car and when I plugged in the USB adapter, it gave me a shock. Now I’m very nervous about being in my car. After that happened, the cigarette igniters to plug in the adapters will not work. Before all of this happened, three months ago, there was a strong gas smell that came from the back seat where my family sits. This is Very worrisome. Along with that, the coolant reservoir started spilling brownish fluid as if a gasket were blown and the oil got into the coolant. I have no transportation now, which as you know can be very difficult. What is your diagnosis of this problem and the solutions. Thank you.

Hello. It sounds like you have a number of issues going on. The coolant leaking like this sounds like a failing head gasket. A block test would need to be done to see if it is failing. The shock is typically caused by a short in the plug itself. These commonly have this issue. With the gas smells, there is an access panel under the rear seat to access the fuel pump. If there is a fuel smell, then the fuel pump may be leaking so that needs to be checked. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the leak and smell.