Q: Upgrade 4 barrel carburetor - 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

asked by on September 03, 2016

I am thinking of upgrading my carburetor to an Eldebrock 4 barrel. But I am not sure if my car has an electronic choke. Do you know if I will need to upgrade to a 4 barrel manifold as well? I have electronic fuel injection, also. Any ideas are appreciated.

I believe your Wagoneer has a "bimetallic choke coil" choke coil actuator (non-electric), so, you would have to add an electrical source that is "hot" when the ignition key is in the Start or Run position. Some Wagoneer models came with a 2 barrel carb and manifold, some with a 4 barrel. If you already have the 4 barrel, it obviously becomes a simpler project. If you have the 2 barrel, will have to get a 4 barrel manifold that also matches your carb selection as well.