Q: WHEN HITTING BRAKES, REAR END SHAKES,JUMPS AND MAKES A LOUD GRINDING SOUND

My car needed brake pads so I was babying them until I could get them done. The rear end though starting making a horrible noise, loud grinding, the whole back end shake and jumps, when pressing the brakes. The car has not been rear ended and there is no rear end damage. It does stop, but I have to release the brake pedal and then depress it again, sometimes 2 or 3 times. The sound is horrible, it's not just a "worn brake pad" sound. I know that sound. I have never experienced the jumping, shimmying or shaking in the rear end before. The front brakes are working fine, they do need new pads, but the front end does not shake or make any unusual noise or vibrations.

If the noise is due to worn brakes alone, the pad material may be completely gone and thus the metal backing plate is grinding against the brake rotor when you apply the brakes. It’s possible there is part interference as well or perhaps components out of position so when you apply the brakes you get the effects you are describing. If the issue is just related to the brake system, the solution of course is to install new pads and rotors. Given what has happened though, the calipers and brake torque plates should be very carefully inspected to be sure they are reusable as is. Those components are available rebuilt at reasonable cost. If you would like this repair performed at your location, please request brake pad replacement initially while understanding that the responding certified mechanic will first fully determine exactly what is needed and also be sure that the noise, vibration and so forth is due to the brakes alone and not additional issues. In all events, you will be fully informed. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. WHEN HITTING BRAKES, REAR END SHAKES,JUMPS AND MAKES A LOUD GRINDING SOUND