Q: truck wont go into gear and you can move shift selector without depressing brakes

I have been working to resurrect this suburban. I've got the engine running but when I went to shift there is no rise in RPMs and the truck does not go into gear. I have checked the linkage from the selector to the transmission and inside the transmission (the Chevy parts dept gave me a print out of the transmission and all the parts) and everything looks like it is there. When I use the brake pedal the brake lights do work. I did clean the electrical connections on the transmission side and checked all the fuses in the fuse panel.

When I put the key in and turn it to the on position, with or without the batteries connected, you can move the selector without using the brake pedal. I believe it may be a shift interlock issue but I don't know if it could be the solenoid or the transmission valves or where to start looking from there. Hoping for a direction to start looking or if the transmission can be fixed at all.

Hi Ryan. Thanks for sending us your question today. It really depends on the condition of the transmission as to what might be causing your problems If you are restoring a 1988 Suburban and have not rebuilt the trans, or had it rebuilt for you, then I would suspect that there is either debris stuck inside the hydraulic lines or a blown inner seal. When a transmission sits without being used for any longer than a year, the inner seals and gaskets can dry up quickly, crack and cause leaking once started again. I would suspect that this is the root source of your problem.