Q: Truck starting without key in ignition

asked by on October 10, 2016

Over the last year and a half, my Toyota pickup has mysteriously started up with no one in the truck three or four times. It hasn't done this for a few months now and it recently did it again yesterday. The only way we can shut it down when it does this is to stomp on the brake pedal. Got any idea what needs to be replaced or checked?

Hi, thanks for writing in. It sounds like you may have a faulty ignition switch that is causing your vehicle to start without the key. I would recommend having your ignition switch inspected and replaced if necessary in order to resolve this issue. Another thing I would recommend checking it for any electrical shorts in your starting system that could cause the vehicle to start on its own. I would also recommend having this issue resolved as soon as possible as many safety issues could result from a vehicle that starts all by itself. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr