Q: Truck hesitates to start - 2001 Chevrolet Silverado

asked by on October 25, 2016

Truck hesitates to start, when it does, it stays on for a few seconds than dies again. my husband already changed fuel filter, crank shaft and spark plugs and it's still doing the same thing, can u please help me?

Hi. This could be a problem with the mass air flow sensor, throttle position, fuel pump, or idle air control valve. The mass air flow sensor is a common cause of a problem like this it could be dirty or just bad completely causing the starting issue. Another common cause of this problem is the fuel pump and the fuel pump is now failing and causing weird problems with starting and how the truck runs. Chevy trucks have had fuel pump problems from 96 to around 2005 in there trucks. To get a more definitive diagnosis of this, I recommend having a certified professional from YourMechanic to inspect the hard start so that the proper repair is made.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr