Q: Trouble starting on a '96 Toyota

asked by on May 17, 2016

I have a hard starting '96 Toyota T100 2.7 L 250,000 miles. Happens when I am driving on warmer weather, parking car takes a few tries. Changed the injectors, coolant sensors, plug and other parts.

First thing you’d want to do is see if it’s flooding out. When it doesn’t start, pull a few spark plugs off. If they are covered with gasoline, that means that for some reason it is flooding out. If you checked the injectors, it can’t be them. It could be that the computer’s pumping too much, the head gasket is getting a little bit weak, or the fuel pressure regulator is leaking. Now, if you have no fuel, that could be that the fuel pump has no power, or that something is going on in that system and it’s not pumping any fuel to the injectors, and after a while it starts cranking again. Fuel pumps can overheat when they get hot. If this condition becomes persistent, I recommend having a technician from YourMechanic come to your car’s location to diagnose your car’s hard starting issue and determine what needs repair.