Q: Trouble changing gears from park to drive

The dealership replaced the snap ring and wave spring after having broken into pieces, thus causing the necessity of a new transmission, they said. I need to know if you think a new transmission is necessary.

Some details: Trouble switching gears and have to force it, flashing light on dashboard, my car won't accelerate. What do you recommend?

Hello. It sounds like you will need to replace the transmission. When you have trouble switching gears, the car won’t accelerate, or the engine light or traction control light is flashing, these are all indicators of a faulty transmission.

There are clutches and a valve body inside the transmission that may be faulty as well, but because these components are inside the transmission, it will need to be rebuilt or replaced.