Q: Transmission wont shift to 2nd gear or reverse 2004 Hyundai Accent

asked by on February 14, 2017

When I was driving home one night, I felt a big thud as I was coming to a stoplight. I pulled over and looked at my transmission fluid and saw that is was full. I tried putting my car in reverse but it didnt go. When I started to drive my car it wouldnt shift above 1st gear. I took it to a mechanic who said that the transmission is bad and needs to be replaced. I thought I would get a second opinion. Thanks

Gears slipping when accelerating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello - check transmission fluid level first, then check for problem codes - whether the Check Engine light is on or not. Given your mileage, it sounds like the front clutch or the low-reverse clutch has failed. This is a fairly common failure mode for this transmission. I recommend a transmission inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.