Q: Transmission switches gears but doesn't engage in any gear. 1996 Geo Metro

I start my car in park. When I go to change gear to any gear (r,n,d,3,2) it makes a slightly weird noise(not very noticable) from the transmission. And does not kick into action. But the car still moves. Just revs too ridiculously high, and barely goes anywhere. Differential gear maybe?I have both axles off, and the teeth to both axles are grade a. Along with the teeth inside the transmission. Whats the deal?

Hi there - first thing to check is the fluid level in the transmission. If the fluid is low (if the axles are out, is the fluid very low also?!), the transmission will not engage gears correctly. Check for problem codes, even if the Check Engine light is not lit, this being the first year for OBD II diagnostics - anything here is helpful. If these steps do not yield any guidance, I recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Transmission switches gears but doesn't engage in any gear. 1996 Geo Metro