Q: Transmission says its in gear and wont start or release the key.

When i put the key in the ignition i get a message on the dash saying "move selector to p/n". No matter where i move the selector to it says the transmission is in "s1". Everything in the vehicle works fine but it will not start/crank and i have to manually release the key.

Hi there. The transmission position sensor has failed or the cable to the transmission has broken when the transmission was selected into the low position. Check the shifter cable and see if its attached to the transmission and make sure that the shifter on the transmission is moving. If so, then the transmission position sensor must be replaced. If you need further assistance with your dash saying the transmission is stuck in S1, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Transmission says its in gear and wont start or release the key.