Q: Transmission problem

There is motor oil in my transmission. Was driving and it stopped pulling itself and coasted to a stop and wouldn't go any farther. A shop wants to charge $2200 to replace it. Wouldn't cleaning and changing the filter solve the problem? I feel like they took advantage of a woman and I live on a fixed income. How does oil get in a transmission?

The only way engine oil could get into the transmission is if someone poured it into the fill tube in the engine compartment. The transmission may just have fluid that is discolored brown from burned fluid from internal transmission slippage of the clutches. If someone put engine oil into the transmission it most likely caused permanent internal damage to the seals and clutches that cannot be flushed out. If you do not like the shop that quoted the repairs I would recommend having a second shop give a second opinion for the repairs needed. A mobile mechanic like one from YourMechanic can come and give you the second opinion.

3. Transmission problem