Q: Transmission making grinding noise when downshifting

asked by on February 17, 2016

The transmission is making a clicking/grinding noise when the car is downshifting.

Grinding sound from transmission Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

If your vehicle is a standard, you can have a bad synchronizer in your transmission. The synchronizers are typically made of brass and are what make shifting from one gear to the other smooth. When they wear they make shifting a bit harder and that is when you hear the grinding sound as you shift. Repair requires removal of the transmission and disassembly. This is something that I suggest be done by a qualified mechanic to pinpoint the grinding sound in your transmission.