Q: Transmission Lurching Issues?

Today while stopped at a red light, my car began to do something out of the ordinary. The car seemed to want to pull forward in small, but consistent increments. With the brakes depressed, and in Drive, it was trying to pull away. When shifted to Park, the car stopped doing this. I am thinking transmission, because it stopped when it was disengaged. Please help, this is a safety issue, and my only family vehicle, along with my Uber vehicle. Thank you.

My car has an automatic transmission. UPDATE: Just did a OBDII diagnostics check. Popped codes P0301 & P0302, cylinder 1 and 2 misfire.

The lurching is not caused by a fault in the transmission. Rather, the misfiring is probably the cause as the engine periodically gains and loses power as the misfiring occurs. Diagnostic Trouble Code P0301 means that Cylinder No. 1 is misfiring but the causes of that misfiring can be very varied. The other Code, P0302, just refers to the same misfiring but it is occurring in a different cylinder, namely cylinder No. 2. Among the causes of cylinder misfiring are faulty spark plugs, low compression, damage or excessive wear of spark plug wires and/or coils, faulty fuel injector, clogged EGR valves or tubes, burned valves, improper ignition timing, vacuum leaks, leaking head gasket, faulty camshaft sensor, faulty crankshaft sensor, faulty mass air flow sensor, faulty oxygen sensor, faulty throttle position sensor, faulty catalytic converter, and others. If you want the cause pinpointed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a misfiring diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. Transmission Lurching Issues?