Q: Engine Stutter On Acceleration

My car has been kind of sputtering or stuttering when accelerating. Especially at higher speeds. Every now and then sometimes the engine will shake when just idling. It has done this for about 2 weeks but just yesterday the check engine light came on for about 30 seconds and then went away. It was on my way to work in the morning in about 6 degree weather. Any ideas as to what this shaking problem could be that causes my car to not accelerate smoothly and kind of stutter/sputter ?

It’s likely that If you were to scan the engine controller, (ECU) you would probably find several misfire codes. The misfire codes can indicate specifically which cylinder if malfunctioning. Your model car has a history of coil and ignition module failures so pinning down the culprit is often a matter of swapping components from cylinder to cylinder. Of course there might be other issues, but your car has a very sophisticated self diagnostic system so a full scan is the place to start. You can conveniently have that done by contacting Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office to check out your misfire and tell you what the next steps should be.