Q: Transmission issues

I have to manually put my car into park from the undercarriage. It won't pull into any other gear but 1st gear which is actually reverse.

A: Hello. If the shifter itself is not moving ...

Hello. If the shifter itself is not moving then the linkage may be binding so that needs to be checked out first. Most of the time the joints in the linkage will cause this when they fail.

If the transmission cannot be fully shifted at the transmission itself then the issue may be inside of the transmission which would require a rebuild.

If you'd like a second opinion on this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home and diagnose the issue with your gears firsthand.