Q: Transmission issues at lower speeds

Hi. I have a well-maintained car with around 85,000 miles on it. It has an issue with the automatic transmission. At speeds around 35-45 mph, the transmission seems to be slipping and cannot shift correctly until I increase or decrease the speed. Do you have any idea what the issue might be and what I should check? Thanks.

A: Hi there. This is a common problem when the...

Hi there. This is a common problem when the transmission is failing. When the clutches are worn between gears the computer increases the pressure in the transmission to try and engage them. If the clearance is too large this slipping occurs. I usually check the transmission pressure first to make sure that it is not a problem with one of the solenoids. I also typically drain the fluid from the transmission and inspect it for debris indicating an internal failure. If you plan on having this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this.