Q: Q: Transmission is going out

I just did a transmission flush on my 97 pontiac grand am v6, it was 1,000 miles past due. The fluid pretty much looked like oil. I did everything correctly, the way it should be done. I replaced the filter & the gasket too. It was running fine for a couple of days. But on Sunday when I was about to leave for work, I put my car in drive & it was acting like it's in neutral. I have to keep revving up the engine & it Jerks itself into gear. It usually only happens the first time I drive the car for the day. My car currently has 207000 miles on it. My question is, would you possibly happen to know what's the cause of it?

Hello. You should start by removing the transmission pan and double checking the filter. If the filter is not still secure then this will happen. If the filter is fine then it is more than likely a transmission failure. If the fluid was that dirty then that is an indication that there is a serious internal issue. I typically start by checking the internal transmission pressures which would tell me if the transmission is failing. If not then it may just have debris stuck in the valve body. If you are going to have this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s transmission issue to verify the faulty component and suggest a repair.

3. Q: Transmission is going out