Q: Won't start with the key, but I can lock and unlock the doors.

My BMW is a push start and the dash says it still needs the key to be able to start the car even thought the key is in the ignition, I can still unlock and lock the car just fine.

Hi there. The key fob could have a battery that is going dead. I recommend replacing the battery as the battery only lasts about 8 years. Then you will need to reprogram the key fob to the vehicle by putting it to the ignition switch and pressing the lock and unlock buttons for about 5 seconds. Then lock and unlock the doors manually and operate the key fob to unlock the doors at the same time. Do this 3 times for lock and unlock and then your key fob should be reprogrammed with the vehicle. If the vehicle still does not start and the message of needing the key is still present, then the ignition switch needs replaced. If you need further assistance with your vehicle not registering the key, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Won't start with the key, but I can lock and unlock the doors.