Q: Transmission hesitation problems only in reverse

asked by on May 23, 2016

I have transmission issues on my Mountaineer with around 180,000 miles. It is a high-mileage vehicle and is bound to have some issues but I have changed the transmission several times and the problem persists. Transmission hesitates in reverse only. I had it flushed recently. What is the problem with it? Thanks.

One thing you may want to look at, especially since the transmission has been changed several times, is the shift cable. It is possible that the cable has stretched, and that the transmission may not be fully engaged in reverse. The fluid level and condition should also be checked to ensure that the fluid is not burnt. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can determine the cause of the hesitation issue and recommend a proper course of repair.