Q: Q: Transmission fluid change

Is this something I can do myself? If so, how?

Hi there. This car has a possibility of at least 3 different types of transmissions and all three do not have a standard dipstick. The drain and fill procedure is different for all three transmissions and all require the manufacture scan tool to check the transmission fluid temperature during the fill procedure. This vehicle is not one I would recommend for the untrained mechanic to do. Special drain and fill procedures, if not done correctly, could cause transmission problems or other damages may happen. If you need further assistance I recommend you have a technician, like one from YourMechanic, change the transmission fluid on your BMW.

Hi. The first question is, why do you want to perform a transmission service? If you are doing it solely as a preventative measure, that’s a worthy goal. However, if you are doing it to address some kind of problem (i.e. harsh shifting, transmission trouble codes, etc.) I would advise against it. In this case, you need to address the real problem as changing the transmission fluid can make things worse. That being said, if you want to change your transmission fluid it can be done. But, I would not suggest it. Your transmission does not have a dip stick and must be filled through a plug underneath the vehicle. I would contact a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to replace the transmission fluid on your vehicle.

3. Q: Transmission fluid change