Q: Traction control light is on, 2000 BMW

The traction control light came on and stays on. I immediately thought a wheel speed sensor may be the cause but if that were the case wouldn't the ABS light also be illuminated? Regardless, what else would set the light? Steering angle sensor? DSC unit? Fuse? Thanks

A: As you know, your car is equipped with whee...

As you know, your car is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information constantly to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty, working intermittently and sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, you may experience the symptoms you have described. In your case only the traction control light comes on which may suggest that the traction control module may not be working properly. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your ABS and traction control system to determine the cause for this.