Q: Timing Chain/Phasers Replacement on a 2005 F150 5.4

I recently had the drivers side cam phaser replaced on my 2005 F150 5.4 V8 and it somehow jumped out of time so I recently requested a quote to have the timing chains and guides replaced and I would like to know if it would be wise to have the phasers replaced as well while the mechanic is already in the engine. Ford sells a timing chain kit that comes with the phasers for about $800 and I'm thinking it might be the way to go but I'm in no way an expert on this subject. Thank you!

Hi there. I believe it would be a very good idea to have the guides replaced at the same time; especially if the mechanic completing this work will not charge a lot of additional labor to complete the service. Anytime you replace a timing chain, it’s best to replace all of the components inside an OEM kit. This reduces the potential of small issues causing additional problems.

3. Timing Chain/Phasers Replacement on a 2005 F150 5.4