Q: Timing chain, camshaft and crankshaft timing problems 2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L

Hey I need some advise. 2006 Dodge Ram 1500, 4.7L, 2WD Replaced the head gaskets and while putting on the right head the timing chain fell off from the lower sproket. I got it back on but the cam shaft no longer sits at TDC. The left cam also moved at some point. The V8 on the right cam is 4 notches to the left of TDC and the left cam is 2 notches to the right. My mind is blown as to how this happened but I need advise on how to get it right. Theoretically, if I take the chains off the cams and turn the crank to TDC then individually turn the cams to TDC and put the chains back on with the correct marking positions, that will fix the issue or jack it up worse? Please assist.

Hi there - there are "camshaft timing tools" specific to every engine which are used for camshaft component repair to avoid just this scenario.These specialized tools keep the camshafts and crankshaft locked in the proper position ("crankshaft top dead center", aka TDC), so as to avoid camshaft and crankshaft movement, which could bend the valves while making other repairs. First task is to purchase or borrow these tools, carefully first turn each cam to its "TDC" position to install each camshaft fixture. Then make sure the crankshaft is at TDC, and install the crankshaft locking fixture if this has not already been done when removing the crankshaft damper pulley bolt. You will also need specialized tooling to adjust the camshaft phasers, the "variable timing" components located at the front of the camshaft. Follow the manufacturers service procedure for reinstalling cam chain guides, tensioner, chains, tensioner, etc. and timing the cams. For assistance, I recommend a timing chain replacement service performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Timing chain, camshaft and crankshaft timing problems 2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L