Q: Thumping sound in reverse

I have noticed a thumping sound when I reverse my car. I have only driven it occasionally in the past few months and have since got a new car so have only just noticed the sound. Last month the gears locked up and I took it to a mechanic who replaced the gear box cables. Could this be related? What reasons could there be for the noise? There is no noise or problem when using other gears, just reverse. Thanks!

Since you are not driving the car much then you may have the rear brake shoes grabbing when you back up. You should have the vehicle checked to make sure the rear brake shoes are in good shape and adjusted properly. They may just need to be serviced and adjusted.