Q: Thumping noise while driving

asked by on May 16, 2016

There's a slight thumping noise coming from my right front wheel. If I drive faster, the thump gets louder. If I turn right, the thumping goes away. If I turn left, the gets louder. Is this a wheel bearing? What else might it be?

Hello. It is possible that the noise you are hearing is caused by a bad wheel bearing. However, the wheel bearing noise usually sounds more like a roar. If it is a bad wheel bearing, the roaring noise will become louder and you turn in either direction, depending on which wheel bearing is bad.

It is more likely that what you are experiencing is a broken belt in your tire. This will cause the tire to hit the road unevenly, causing the thumping noise that you are hearing. You can check your tire by rubbing your hand over the top of the tire to feel for any unevenness. I’d recommend having a professional technician diagnose the sound for you in order to fix your problem accurately.