Q: I get a check-engine light and Reduced power. Throttle not responding on hill climbs.

I get a check-engine light and Reduced power. Generally happens when I press quickly on the accelerator, but sometimes when I an going up a hill also. Have had my local mechanic replace the throttle body (which includes the throttle position sensor), the throttle body harness, and the accelerator position sensor, but still has the problem. Now the GM dealership wants to charge me $1550 to replace a pedal that doesn't need replacing, an accelerator harness, and something called a Throttle actuator Control module, which the local auto parts store can't seem to find for my vehicle. This has got to be easier than what I am going thru...Help?

Hi there. The first thing to do is get a code reader and check the codes that the engine has stored since the engine light is on. This will give you a starting point and a place to check for the issue that you are having. It is possible that the gas pedal position sensor has failed and lost its count. This will cause the engine to not accelerate when demanding more acceleration. Also, when you step on the accelerator hard on a hill climb, does the transmission down shift to a lower gear? If the transmission does not down shift to a lower gear, then the kick down cable or solenoid may not be working. If you need further assistance with your engine light on, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• I get a check-engine light and Reduced power. Throttle not responding on hill climbs.