Q: Throttle Body

My mechanic at Virginia Tire and Auto stated to me that I needed my throttle body replaced which is what I thought however he said the part alone would cost 500 dollars before labor which I think is not accurate. Does this seems high rather high to you? Thanks.

Hi there:

It really depends on what part of the throttle body he is quoting your for pricing. In general, the housing itself is what might be damaged or the electronic throttle control portion; which shouldn’t be more than $400 (after most shops up charge their parts). With less than 100,000 miles, I find it hard to believe that the entire throttle body is damaged to the point where it needs to be replaced (unless there was an overheating or serious engine issue). You might be better served to have a professional mobile mechanic from YourMechanic.com inspect your Dodge Journey to give you a second opinion or contact us to receive a quote for the throttle body replacement.

3. Throttle Body