Q: Thermostat needs to be replaced

The Engine malfunction (on-board diagnostics) light came on. I brought car to VW dealership, they are saying I need a thermostat change. I have a 2012 VW Eos with 51465 miles on it. It seems they want a huge amount of money for that.

A: Thermostat failures were very common for th...

Thermostat failures were very common for this engine, and they are very involved to replace, which makes the replacement cost very high. You can have the diagnosis checked by a qualified independent technician, such as one from YourMechanic. Replacement would also likely be cheaper going with them as well.