Q: There is a severe oil leak in my car

Besides the blue exhaust smoke, I've noticed all of the other indications of an oil leak for about a week or two now. I'm filling oil everyday. That's more than I fuel up. I don't really have the knowledge to check for the leak and I don't really have the time to. I noticed this severe oil leak about a week after I rotated my tires and changed one wheel (there was a cracked rim). I haven't had the time to balance them yet and I drive on highways almost everyday. I notice the car shakes hard when I reach about 70 mph. Of course I slow down, but it happens. I'm wondering if that is the cause of the leak and I want to know how to check for the leak.

Hi and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The blue smoke from your exhaust indicates that the piston rings are worn and oil is getting past them causing the blue smoke. The only fix to this problem is rebuilding the engine. This can be checked by doing a compression check to confirm this issue. As for the car shaking at 70 mph, by getting the tires balanced should take care of that problem as your tires and new rim are most likely out of balance. If you continue to have problems, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the oil leak and follow through with any other needed repairs.