Q: I have a 2011 Sonata, when I apply the brakes after driving at speeds, during the end of the stop I will hear multiple ''thud'' ty

asked by on February 16, 2018

When driving at speeds (40mph+) and then applying the brakes over a small distance (Not stepping on the pedal hard), I notice a 'thud' 'thud' 'thud' noise emanating from the front suspension/wheel area right before I come to the stop. It doesn't happen while I'm applying the brakes, only right before the vehicle stops. I've only ever replaced the front brake pads on the car, can this be the rotors or are there a lot of culprits? The noise doesn't happen every time, most notably on cold mornings though. It's more susceptible when I'm coming to a stop while driving down a hill.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The likely causes are a loose brake or suspension component, although even a loose motor mount could be a cause. With regard to any of those general possibilities, the noise simply occurs once the moving (loose) component reaches its end of travel when you bring the car to a stop (the part is loose relative to the vehicle motion). There are quite a few components that potentially would account for this but if you request a vehicle noise diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will pinpoint the origin of the noise and get this issue taken care of for you, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.