Q: There is a coolant smell coming from the vents.

asked by on November 04, 2016

losing coolant and can smell antifreeze through the air vents once the engine is warmed up. Can't see any spills or leaks from the engine bay or on the ground. Also, the window fogs up when the heater is on. I think it's a heater core, but there is no quote on your site to fix that specifically, just upper or lower hoses..

Smell in the car Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

A heater core is the most likely failure you are having since it is causing the smell and fog on the window. You will need to have the heater core replaced. The heater core is mounted inside the A/C heater evaporator case behind the dash and, in order to replace the heater core, the entire dash needs to be removed for access to the heater case, and then it needs to be removed from the vehicle so the core can be removed and replaced.

This is more than a one day job and will need a full day and a half for most experienced mechanics to perform, which is why it is not listed as a repair, since we work outside and cannot leave a vehicle unfinished. I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine the exact source of the smell and determine what repairs are needed.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr