Q: The truck is noisy when it gets started up

My 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 (90k miles) started making a whole lot of noise one day when I started it up. It sounded like a hole in the exhaust, so I started driving down the road. When I got going I heard a kind of knocking sound coming from under the truck. I took a look and it looks like the exhaust is hanging off the engine! How could so many of the bolts fail at once? Maybe there were warning signs I missed? How do I prevent this from happening again when it is fixed?

A: Dodge has had issues with the exhaust manif...

Dodge has had issues with the exhaust manifold bolts breaking off at the cylinder head. This normally happens to one or two and is most commonly made worse in areas where rust occurs. There is nothing that you missed; the bolts or studs reached their breaking point and failed. The repair for this issue consists of removing the hardware that is not currently failed and then removing the exhaust manifold itself. In the best of cases, the technician can remove the remaining section using locking pliers and heat. In the worst of cases, the bolt broke off flush with the cylinder head. This means that the technician needs to drill and extract the broken portion, a difficult and potentially time consuming project.