Exception in rendering!

Message: window is not defined

ReferenceError: window is not defined
    at new c (/tmp/execjs20161208-83728-vigv6ujs:136:3912)
    at m.mountComponent (/tmp/execjs20161208-83728-vigv6ujs:47:15602)
    at /tmp/execjs20161208-83728-vigv6ujs:49:31860
    at a.r.perform (/tmp/execjs20161208-83728-vigv6ujs:47:12503)
    at Object.a [as renderToString] (/tmp/execjs20161208-83728-vigv6ujs:49:31821)
    at r (/tmp/execjs20161208-83728-vigv6ujs:50:21164)
    at Object.S.ReactOnRails.serverRenderReactComponent (/tmp/execjs20161208-83728-vigv6ujs:32:6073)
    at eval (eval at <anonymous> (/tmp/execjs20161208-83728-vigv6ujs:173:8), <anonymous>:10:23)
    at eval (eval at <anonymous> (/tmp/execjs20161208-83728-vigv6ujs:173:8), <anonymous>:17:3)
    at /tmp/execjs20161208-83728-vigv6ujs:173:8

Q: The heat control dial on my dashboard broke. The plastic connector snapped in half.

While i was twisting the dial, the plastic connector that the dial sits in snapped.

A: Hey there. Without knowing the make and mod...

Hey there. Without knowing the make and model of your vehicle, it's not possible to know what kind of dashboard setup you were working with. You may be able to find the parts that are broken on a used vehicle, or from a dealership or manufacturer, and simply swap out the dial that has broken.

It may require that you swap out the entire face of that center console. It depends on the amount of damage that was done, and the ability to remove individual parts from the console. If you can remove it, you can swap it out. Otherwise you are looking at a more in-depth repair.

What you want to make sure didn't occur is further damage to the components beyond the switch. Switches are typically made of plastic and get used a lot which leads to early wear, and they are prone to damage. This is why some buttons and switches are easily accessible and replaceable.

For this type of repair, consider taking the car to the dealer to see if they can have this repaired properly. Alternatively, have one of our mobile technicians come out to you and inspect the component firsthand for an accurate repair.

Feel free to resubmit another question with your car's make, model, and year if you'd like a more in-depth response. Best of luck.