3rd gear and up, losing power after 3k RPM, can't get abo...

Q: 3rd gear and up, losing power after 3k RPM, can't get above 60mph, smells burnt.

asked by on July 14, 2017

3rd gear and up, losing power after 3k RPM, can't get above 60mph, smells burnt. One moment car was running perfectly, next, just loses power.

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like you may have a clogged or damaged catalytic converter. The catalytic converter converts toxic exhaust gases into less harmful pollutants that are suitable to be expelled into the atmosphere. When the catalytic converter is clogged, this causes these gases to be backed up into the exhaust system not allowing the engine to breathe properly. When this happens, the engine is forced to work much harder to expel these gases. This often results in the engine bogging down, hesitating, shaking and causing very poor fuel economy. This should also cause a check engine light to come on as the O2 sensors should be reading the incorrect amounts of oxygen in the exhaust gases if this is your problem. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your catalytic converter.