Q: Missing windshield wiper

I only have one windshield wiper on the drivers side, everything is missing on the passanger side what do I need to fix this and have two working wipers

Hey there. You will need a wiper arm and a new wiper blade. There is something else that you need to look at before you install the wiper arm. The round part that protrudes from the base of the windshield needs to be inspected. Wiper arms will often come off because the splines on this piece can become damaged. If the splines are not in good shape, nearly new shape, the wiper arm will not secure properly to the round piece. The round piece is part of a larger unit referred to as the wiper transmission.

The wiper transmission is a series of long arms connected by pivots which are all connected to the wiper motor. It is underneath what is known as the cowl and the base of your transmission. If the round piece that protrudes through the cowl is damaged, you will also need a wiper transmission. Sometimes you can find one arm of the wiper transmission. What parts are available for your year make and model of vehicle is dependent on supply and demand. Often wiper transmissions are only available as a complete unit. Other times you can purchase individual pieces. You will have to go the parts store to find out. If you decide you need a wiper transmission or related parts, I recommend removing the cowl to see exactly what you need before you go to the parts store. Be sure to bring the old parts with you. This will ensure you leave the store with the correct part or parts.

If your still having trouble, you may want to have a local expert inspect your windshield wiper system. From there, they can make the appropriate repairs.

3. Missing windshield wiper