Q: The gas and check ingine light is on and my car wont change gears i have to turn on and off many times before finally switching

My car was working fine and then all of a sudden i tried to leave and it said im on empty and the check engine light came on and it wont let me change gears now i havr to turn off and on the car multiple times before it finally changes gears

3. The gas and check ingine light is on and my car wont change gears i have to turn on and off many times before finally switching