Q: The car will not start - 2003 Honda Accord

for a few weeks, the car would only start if i adjust the hight of the steering wheel. as of this morning, no position of the steering wheel will allow it to start. the radio, lights, etc. are all functioning like normal. there is a soft clocking sound underneath the hood.

A: Hi there. It sounds like you may have a sta...

Hi there. It sounds like you may have a starter going bad. That noise you’re hearing is the armature of the starter trying to engage, but failing.

Test the battery with a digital battery tester to make sure the battery is in a good state of health and charge. Then perform a voltage drop test to the starter to make sure the proper amount of voltage is available at the starter. If the battery and voltage drop test are ok, then the starter is the most likely culprit. The steering wheel position is most likely just coincidence. If you would like to have this taken care of, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the starting problem and replace the starter if necessary.

Recommended services
Get a Quote