Q: brake noise at low speeds

Hi good afternoon,

I just started to hear a noise when braking at very low speeds, no noise heard going over 5 mph. I believe my car has a sensor for when to replace the brakes but it hasn't gone off.

Hello. Thank you for writing in. Typically minor noises from the brakes when the vehicle is moving slowly is normal. Brake dust and dirt is one of the most common. Eventually this debris is rubbed off by the brake pads and the noise should fade. Any type of minor rust will also cause the same symptoms, and should also rub off eventually. Some brake pads which are metallic in origin will actually make noises consistently just my nature. There is not anything you can do if this is the case. The very nature of how the brakes work when traveling at low speeds makes it a perfect environment for all kinds of grinding and squealing noises. The vibrations from the pads on the rotors are typically to blame.

3. brake noise at low speeds