Q: The battery light still shows after replacing with a new battery and the steering wheel is hard to turn. what is the issue?

Well, over the past couple days my car was acting strange then it randomly shut off so, I replaced the battery today and checked it again the battery light is still on and the steering wheel is still rough and hard to turn. The wheels do not turn and neither does the steering wheel turn like it is supposed too. Can you tell me what the problem is.

Hi there. This sounds like a belt failure or belt driven component failure. First check to see if the belt is broken/missing, then check the driven component pulleys for resistance that may have contributed to the belt failure. If the belt is present and not broken, then check the crankshaft harmonic balancer (pulley) for failure by seeing if the pulley aligns with all of the other pulleys; when a balancer fails, the outer section where the belt rides can move back and forth or come off completely. When the belt is off or broken, the alternator and power steering pump will not work and cause the concerns you are having. You may need a harmonic balancer and/or a serpentine belt. YourMechanic has several available technicians to assist you with a hard steering inspection, belt replacement, and harmonic balancer replacement.

3. The battery light still shows after replacing with a new battery and the steering wheel is hard to turn. what is the issue?