Q: Temperature was fluctuating then overheated then blew coolant every where, what do you thinknthe problem is

For about a few days my temp gauge was fluctuating from half way to h every now and then but not every time I drove it, I went on a 3 hour drive and about an hour in my temp gauge was going from regular to hot more frequently and I noticed my heat working when it was normal and blowing cold air when the gauge was at hot concerned it was going to over heat I stopped to asses and everything seemed normal under the hood 15 more in down the road and it was stuck at h for a while when I let off the throttle it stalled then started Steaming and spewing coolant every where. I put snow on the engine till it was cool then drove it a couple minutes at a time to get to the next town it would make it a few miles then over heat again, what do you think caused the over heating and i don't know where the coolant was coming from. I want to fix it but I don't want to replace the wrong part and do you thing where ever the coolant came from would be another problem now

The reason the heat was working intermittently is once the coolant starts boiling within the cooling system, the boiling action creates an impediment to normal coolant circulation to and through the heater core. So, ironically, even as the engine is overheated, there is no heat available to the cabin. The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level (including that due to leaks), a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket, poor engine running condition or exhaust blockages can also cause overheating. An important thing to keep in mind is once an engine has overheated, you should replace your engine cooling thermostat because episodes of overheating can damage the thermostat. If the thermostat is damaged, and left in place, that can set the stage for future cooling system problems. If you desire that this overheating problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you, including all necessary repairs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Temperature was fluctuating then overheated then blew coolant every where, what do you thinknthe problem is