Q: Temperature gauges jumping and fan not running on a 2008 Avenger

I have an O8 Avenger with the temperature gauges unadjusted. The engine is overheating. Gauges jump up and down even when the radiator has fluid. I pulled over and saw the engine overheated and the fan wasn't running. Any ideas?

Of course, the fans have to work correctly. They might not work for lots of reasons. First thing is to put in a new thermostat. Because, if you’ve got a stick in thermostat, the engine can get hot, but then the temperature sensor might not get hot and it won’t turn the fans on. So try the simple things like that first. But, if you put a new thermostat that is full of coolant, the fans will still not work right. Then you would have to get fan cooling system all checked out. If that’s the case, then you’ll want to get in touch with a technician and have them run some scans. They can figure out what is going on electronically.

Change the thermostat first, because a lot of times, it’s just a stuck-in thermostat that is cheap and easy repair. If you want to have the overheating problem properly diagnosed by a certified mechanic, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to check your vehicle and make any needed repairs.