Q: Switched to synthetic oil, now I smell burning oil, possibly engine running hotter

Got a recent oil change and switched to synthetic oil with my car that has close to 300,000 miles. After a 30-mile drive, smell oil burning but no smoke. I feel the engine running hotter too.

Hi, thanks for writing in. Synthetic oil is typically a little bit thinner than conventional oil. Often times when a vehicle is switch from conventional to synthetic this can cause oil leaks or burning oil. I would recommend changing your oil back to conventional oil on your next oil change if you are having such issues. I would also recommend using conventional oil from their forward to prevent the symptoms that you are currently having from reappearing in the future. I do not believe any permanent damage was done, however the only way to be sure would be to have your engine inspected by a qualified professional. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect your vehicle for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.

• Switched to synthetic oil, now I smell burning oil, possibly engine running hotter