Q: Swirl marks made from semi abrasive sponge.

I washed my Jeep Grand Cherokee and on parts with tough stuff or sap i used a semi abrasive sponge. It worked great and left no marks. Then a few days later I do the same thing on the Volvo but now there are scratches Ina swirl pattern on the parts where there were really sticky stuff. I used kit scratch out in it. I got a sock and poured some on th sock and rubbed on in a circular motion. Then when dry I rub off with a new sock. It looks awesome for all of 30 minutes and it comes back. I love cars and am so anal about its conditions. There are probably 4-5 noticeable spots all over the once perfect silver paint job. Do I need a different brand of scratch out? A different technique? Multiple layers? PLEAE HELP!!!!! This needs to be fixed. Thanks!!

Hello. I believe that all of the suggestions you provided are possible. You may be able to remove the scratches using a different brand of scratch out. You may also try to use a different application technique other than a swirl motion. It also would not hurt to add an additional layer of the scratch out to see if the results are better the second time.

Another option you could try is using some touch up paint to the affected areas. Touch up paint is self priming and usually fairly easy to apply. If none of these options work, some kind of silicone lubricant such as WD-40 might help the issue temporarily. If you spray the lubricant into a rag and rub the affected areas, this will make them disappear until the next time you wash the vehicle or it rains.

If all else fails, unfortunately you will likely have to have some parts of your vehicle completely repainted depending on how bad the scratches bother you. Any circular motion using anything even mildly abrasive is likely to scratch the paint on a vehicle. Although it is minor, the scratches may be irreversible.