Q: Swapping 98 5.9l engine for 96 5.2l

asked by on June 14, 2016

I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 that had a 5.9l engine. The engine through a rod and now I have a 96 5.2l engine that I can swap in. Do I need to change the computer or worry about an egr valve? Is my current 98 computer compatible with the 96 5.2l engine?

The first clue is the EGR system. One engine has it and the other does not. Even though it may be illegal for you to change your vehicle engine from a 98 to a 96, as long as it is used off-road you should be okay. Swapping used engines when using the same motor year and size is difficult enough. You are asking to swap a different year and size and the changes between the two engines and years may be so much that you will have different fuel injection, sensors, ignition system, and the list goes on. There is a good probability that it may require you to swap entire harnesses and computer systems along with reprogramming computers and modules.