Q: SUV has to start in neutral

In my SUV, I have to start in neutral because it just won't register in the proper gear. What causes this type of problem?

Hello. If it is not registering the correct gear, then it is typically a bad transmission position sensor. This sensor is located on the side of the transmission. When it fails it does not register the correct gear which can keep it from starting. It can also be a shifter cable problem, but that is not as common. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s starting problem.